Three steps. It‘s simple.
All from home. No blood. No needles. Just a small saliva sample.
Your saliva collection kit typically arrives within 3 to 5 days. Express shipping is available.
Follow kit instructions to spit in the tube provided — all from home. Register your saliva sample tube using the barcode so we know it belongs to you, and mail it back to our lab in the pre-paid package.
In approximately 6-8 weeks, we will send you an email to let you know your reports are ready in your online account. Log in and start discovering what your DNA says about you.
Backed by science.
Our rigorous quality standards:
- Our Carrier Status Tests meet FDA criteria for being scientifically and clinically valid
- All saliva samples are processed in CLIA-certified and CAP-accredited labs
- Genotyping is a well-established and reliable platform for analyzing DNA
- Our scientists and medical experts use a rigorous process to develop the reports
- Your personalized reports are based on well-established scientific and medical research
Your privacy is our priority.
You are in control. You choose how your personal genetic information is used and shared.
- We will not share your individual data without your explicit consent
- A federal law (GINA) provides protection from employer and health insurance discrimination based on your genetics
- We do not provide information to law enforcement unless we are required to comply with a valid subpoena or court order
Learn more details about our privacy practices.
We have measures in place to prevent unauthorized access and ensure appropriate use of your genetic information.
- Separate databases keep your genetic information decoupled from your personally identifiable information, protecting your identity
- External firewalls restrict unauthorized connections to our databases
- All connections to our website are encrypted using SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) technology
Hi. Still have questions about how it works?
Here are just a few of the things people frequently ask about 23andMe.
If you don't see your question here, get in touch with us.
What reports will I receive?
You will receive 65+ reports on health, traits and ancestry. See full list of reports offered.
How do I receive my reports?
Our service is exclusively online. You'll receive your reports through a password-protected account at 23andme.com, and you'll have access to additional web-based tools and features.
In order to receive reports and participate in the service, you need to have a valid email address that allows you to send and receive messages. You also need access to a computer or mobile device that connects to the Internet.
Why do I need to register my kit?
You need to register your kit in order to link it to your 23andMe account online. Registration connects the barcode on your saliva sample to your account so we know your sample belongs to you. Our lab cannot process your sample if it is not registered.
How does my DNA become a report?
Your saliva contains DNA from cells in your mouth. We send you a saliva collection kit and instructions for providing your sample.
Our CLIA-certified lab extracts DNA from cells in your saliva sample. Then the lab processes the DNA on a genotyping chip that reads hundreds of thousands of locations in your genome.
Your genetic data is analyzed, and we generate your personalized reports based on well-established scientific and medical research.
Your saliva collection kit typically arrives within 3–5 days. Express shipping is available.
Follow kit instructions to spit in the tube provided – all from home. Register your saliva sample tube using the barcode, so we know it belongs to you, and mail it back to our lab in the pre-paid package.
In approximately 6-8 weeks, we will send you an email to let you know your reports are ready in your online account. Login and start discovering what your DNA says about you.